Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Lunch in Deadwood






Yesterday we had a wonderful day. We started off with a tour of Deadwood for Lucy and Andy. 1st pic is as we were driving into town. 2nd pic is Lucy and Andy as we rode by them on the road. We did a little gambling in the Silverado and I hit the jackpot on the penny machine and won $233.20. Needless to say I surprised Jim when I took my money and ran. Jim thought for sure I'd gamble it away again. But I was tickled to walk away with an extra $200. From the Silverado we went to the Buffalo Steak house for lunch. Our buddy Ed latched on to a pretty young girl as you can see above. That's Jim and I watching Ed lay some lines on her. After lunch we decided to tour some of the attractions in Deadwood. The first place we went was Boot Hill the Mt. Moriah Cemetery where Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane were buried along with many other famous characters. Here are some trivia we learned about them. Wild Bill was murdered in Deadwood on Aug 2,1876. He had come to Deadwood in search of gold and for his other passion gambling. Calamity Jane worked on a bull train, performed in wild west shows and was a prostitute. She also claimed to be Wild Bill's sweetheart, but historians claim that was only her imagination. But on her death bed she asked to be buried next to Wild Bill and the towns people did so when she died in 1903.

No comments: