Friday, August 8, 2008

Sturgis, SD Motorcycle Rally #5




















Wednesday, we went over to our friends Dean and Mary's and got together with our Sturgis friends for one last visit. Then we headed off to the Kenny Chesney concert at Glenco. It was quite the production. One of our friends, who has his business at Glenco told us that they brought in 18 tractor trailers of gear to put on the concert. It was unbelieveable. It was probably one of the most professional concerts we've ever been too. He put on quite the show and he was having so much fun; I think he was so impressed with the number of people that showed up, that he offered to play as long as they could come up with songs. We left at 12:30am and the party was still going strong, but we had left the dogs behind and we needed to get home for them. We thoroughly enjoyed the show though. Thursday, we were both so tired we spent a relaxing day by the pool. That evening, Jim, Ed and I went into town for dinner and went down main street one last time to check out the scenery and buy more t-shirts for Jim's friend, Wayne back home. (see bike pics above). My favorite biker chic was little Haley, a Jack Russell, all dolled up in biker gear. (see pic above) Friday, we Jim, Ed and I went on a 165 mile bike ride to Custer State Park and along the Needle Highway. (rest of pics) The Needle highway is so named because of the many, very tall, majestic rock formations, including one that has a hole (eye of the needle?) through it that you drive through. the Needle highway is one of many awsome rides through and around Custer State Park and the Black Hills in general. Jim said that having ridden motorcycle for over 40 years, he has never ridden roads with such tight turns (some with a very realistic 5 mph speed limit) and absolutely beautiful scenery. It was an awesome ride with certainly the most twisty turny roads I've ever seen (even West Virginia has fewer and less sharp turns as a rule). We stopped about every 30 miles to rest our butts at various little roadside inns and country stores. We also had lunch at a really nice lodge in Custer. My butt was really killing me, but I vowed I would not whine and complain and the stops really did help. We stopped off in Deadwood and got an ice cream cone and watched the bikers ride through town; and I'm telling you I was really ready for that stop. I did whine the remaining 20 miles back to the campground though!!!
And wouldn't you know it, when we got back the dogs were all excited and needed to be walked. I don't know how I did it, but I walked them and then collapsed on the couch. I think Jim and I were asleep within 5 minutes of lying down. After a much needed cat nap we woke up and walked the dogs again, this time a good walk, and then Jim loaded up the motorcycle and we started buttoning up the motorhome for the trip home. We will leave about 8:30am Saturday and head for home. Yeah!! I'm ready to be there. Its been really really fun, but we are both bike weeked out!

No comments: